"Racing With the Moon" (1984)

"Religion's a little shaky."

And so it began. Not the movie, but the first of its quotes that caught my brain, and made me start paying attention. I kept forgetting that I was supposed to be watching Nicholas Cage, and found myself instead following the screen-chewing antics of a young Sean Penn (NOTE: This is the SECOND Cage/Penn - heh. they have synonames - film in a scant 5 years! how many more must perish? I only like him in The Sweet and Low Down).

Turns out it was nothing. A red herring. An elaborate rouse to make me think that this potentially heavy-hitting line had anything more to relate to Cage and "Understanding" than a tottering shelf in a coastal library.

I was beset on all sides with unerring woe. Darkness.

The movie plummets from there in a helix of faux-danger and douchebaggery. Weeks ago, I had more to say about the film specifically, but the Point remains: Not a single bit of Understanding came from this, but it begs a question:
As you well know, we're watching these movies, because I'm pretty sure Cage said, "I'm just trying to Understand!!" in a film of his. I can picture THAT Cage, and THAT quote like I can picture my own dear Mother. So, why watch all of these movies that clearly don't apply?

Simple.

I may have some sort of telepathic, or extra-sensory link with this Coppola-spawn, and I intend to explore it to its most final lengths, in the purist of empirical spirits. He may have said it MORE than once, or simply not said it yet. So, in response to Carol's more recent Field Report, we are committed.

But for the easily bored, feel free to skip ahead.

No comments: